This code first appeared as a chapter in the book Dianetics: The Original Thesis written by L. Ron Hubbard in 1947 and first published in 1951. Subsequently, many hours of auditing, ministered by auditors from around the world, provided Mr. Hubbard with information to refine the code and thus improve the discipline of auditing. The Auditor’s Code was revised several times in the 1950s and 1960s with the final version published in June of 1980.
The Auditor’s Code is a fundamental tool of auditing and of life. As L. Ron Hubbard wrote in Dianetics, “the Auditor’s Code outlines…the conduct survival pattern of Man. The Clear operates more or less automatically on this code.” Because the basic axioms of Dianetics and Scientology comprise the fundamentals of thought itself, what works in auditing also works in life.
I hereby promise as an auditor to follow the Auditor’s Code.
1. I promise not to evaluate for the preclear or tell him what he should think about his case in session.
2. I promise not to invalidate the preclear’s case or gains in or out of session.
3. I promise to administer only Standard Tech to a preclear in the standard way.
4. I promise to keep all auditing appointments once made.
5. I promise not to process a preclear who has not had sufficient rest and who is physically tired.
6. I promise not to process a preclear who is improperly fed or hungry.
7. I promise not to permit a frequent change of auditors.
8. I promise not to sympathize with a preclear but to be effective.
9. I promise not to let the preclear end session on his own determinism but to finish off those cycles I have begun.
10. I promise never to walk off from a preclear in session.
11. I promise never to get angry with a preclear in session.
12. I promise to run every major case action to a floating needle.
13. I promise never to run any one action beyond its floating needle.
14. I promise to grant beingness to the preclear in session.
15. I promise not to mix the processes of Scientology with other practices except when the preclear is physically ill and only medical means will serve.
16. I promise to maintain communication with the preclear and not to cut his communication or permit him to overrun in session.
17. I promise not to enter comments, expressions or enturbulence into a session that distract a preclear from his case.
18. I promise to continue to give the preclear the process or auditing command when needed in the session.
19. I promise not to let a preclear run a wrongly understood command.
20. I promise not to explain, justify or make excuses in session for any auditor mistakes whether real or imagined.
21. I promise to estimate the current case state of a preclear only by Standard Case Supervision data and not to diverge because of some imagined difference in the case.
22. I promise never to use the secrets of a preclear divulged in session for punishment or personal gain.
23. I promise to never falsify worksheets of sessions.
24. I promise to see that any donation received for processing is refunded following the policies of the Claims Verification Board, if the preclear is dissatisfied and demands it within three months after the processing, the only condition being that he may not again be processed or trained.
25. I promise not to advocate Dianetics or Scientology only to cure illness or only to treat the insane, knowing well they were intended for spiritual gain.
26. I promise to cooperate fully with the authorized organizations of Dianetics and Scientology in safeguarding the ethical use and practice of those subjects.
27. I promise to refuse to permit any being to be physically injured, violently damaged, operated on or killed in the name of “mental treatment.”
28. I promise not to permit sexual liberties or violations of patients.
29. I promise to refuse to admit to the ranks of practitioners any being who is insane.
You are a unique individual with your own personality traits—some of these traits enable you to achieve great things in life, and others can seem to hold you back and ultimately stifle your true potential. Enter your information below to get started.